2 KINGS 2:1-15
The concept of power relations is that you need someone to help you go from one season in your life to the other. The reason many never transition is because they don't do what they need to do in the first season of their life in order to advance to the next.
It is to repeat the same mistakes over and over.
Elijah Goes up in Whirlwind, transitioning Elisha into his next season - True
Many believe that Elijah went up in a Chariot & Horses of fire - this is False
For most people the vast majority of problems occur around money, personal relationships and time.
Life is designed to be interdependent, everyone gets through this life with a little help.
All good things flow through relationships
Relationships will bring you things you could “never” buy or earn. Power of relationships open up things to you that can only be described as “favor”.
Dormant potential can be unlocked if you can get around the right person, someone else in your life can unlock things in you that you didn’t even know you had.
People can unlock negative things in you that you didn't even know you had, anger, bad language, rage, etc.
Things you thought were dead in you.
1 Corinthians 15:33
“Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners”
Spiritually it is considered a form of transmigration, where a soul passes from one soul to another. In this aspect it is the character of the spirit of a person that transfers. Like cursing when you don't curse, or being compassionate etc...
Good attributes like spiritual gifts (1Corinthians 12:1-11) and talents are unlocked when you get around the right person, because encouragement or trust and confidence are placed in you.
“He that walketh with wise men shall be wise: but a companion of fools shall be destroyed”
A power relationship is Gods blessing for a transitional season.
At certain points, God gives us a person who will transition you, but if you miss that relationship you won’t transition. Someone has already been where you are headed....been married more years than you, raised five kids, started a business, prayed family members into the kingdom, etc.
Married for many years
Raising a large family
Running a successful business
There are many examples of power relationships that transitioned someone into their calling.
• Abraham , had Melchizedek, His name means King and Righteousness or is translated "My King is righteousness"
- which is to say the Messiah - Genesis 14:18-20, Psalm 110, Hebrews 7:1-28, 5:6, 10; 6:20
• Genesis 14 is part of the larger story telling how Abram returns from defeating king Chedorlaomer and meets with
Bera the King of Sodom at which point the encounter with Abraham and Melchizedek
• The term "Most High" God of Israel is used another twenty times Psalms.
• A text about Melchizedek was found in Cave 11 at Qumran in the Israeli Dead Sea area and comprises part of the
Dead Sea Scrolls.
• The Jews reject Jesus as the Messiah, the Midrash quotes multiple aspects Melchizedek and Abram; They teach that Melchizedek acted as a priest and handed down Adam's robes to Abram. (Numbers Rabbah 4:8, Genesis Rabbah 43:6, Genesis Rabbah 56:10, Genesis Rabbah 85:10)
Samuel and Saul
• 3000 years ago, Israel was ruled by judges who settled disputes, not kings. Samuel was a prophet, a military
leader and the last of Israel's Judges. 1 Samuel 3:19-20
• Samuel is mentioned in the second chapter of the Qur'an, although not by name. He is the first of the major
prophets who began to prophesy inside the Land of Israel.
• Samuel anointed the first two kings of Israel: Saul and David. 1 Samuel 10:1-11- Saul, 1 Samuel 16:1-13 -David
• Saul reigned in Gibeah, a hill in Jerusalem, 3 miles north of Jerusalem along the Watershed Ridge at 2,754 feet above sea level, or the hill.
David, Samuel and Gad
David had Samuel and Gad (1 Samuel 16:1-13 ,1 Chronicles 21:9, 2 Sam 24:11)
• Samuel anointed David to be King of Israel
• Gad was the prophet that guided David as King
Jesus and John the Baptist
“Behold, I will send my messenger, and he shall prepare the way before me: and the Lord, whom ye seek, shall suddenly come to his temple, even the messenger of the covenant, whom ye delight in: behold, he shall come, saith the Lord of hosts.”
400 years after Malachi’s prophesy, John took Jesus out of obscurity and transitioned Jesus ministry, John decreased so Jesus could increase.
(John 3:27-36) (Matthew 3:16-17)
John 1:15, 29-32
15 “John bare witness of him, and cried, saying, This was he of whom I spake, He that cometh after me is preferred before me: for he was before me.”
29 “The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world. 30 This is he of whom I said, After me cometh a man which is preferred before me: for he was before me.
31 And I knew him not: but that he should be made manifest to Israel, therefore am I come baptizing with water.
32 And John bare record, saying, I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and it abode upon him".
A Note about time dating during the time of Jesus - BC vs BCE and Common Era verses AD
The Current Era (CE) notation system is used as a secular alternative to the Dionysian era system, devised in 525 AD, by Dionysius Exiguus a 6th-century monk born in Scythia Minor, who distinguished eras as AD the year of the Lord and BC ("before Christ”). Based on the Gregorian calendar, the most widely used calendar in the world.
The term "Common Era" in English started in 1708 to emphasize secularism or sensitivity to non-Christians, by not explicitly referencing Jesus as "Christ" NON- believers typically use BCE and CE, Christians use BC/AD
Johns ministry began around 29 AD (Luke 3:1-3) also a reference to “The fifteenth year of Tiberius Caesar”
There are different approaches to estimating the start of Jesus ministry, which begins with his baptism in the countryside of Roman Judea and Transjordan, near the river Jordan, and ends in Jerusalem.
Luke 3:23 states that Jesus was "about 30 years of age" at the start of his ministry,
A chronology of Jesus typically has the date of the start of his ministry around AD 27–29 and the end in the range
• One approach, based on the Gospel of Luke (Luke 3:23) with historical data about Emperor Tiberius gives a date
around 28-29 AD,
• A second approach is based on statements in the Gospel of Matthew 14:1-12; Mark 6:14-27; Luke 9:9, along with
historical information from Josephus about the Temple in Jerusalem which leads to a date around AD 27–29.
• Luke 3:1-4 suggests that Jesus’ ministry began shortly after John’s did, which places the likely date of Jesus’ baptism in AD 29 to AD30.
Paul and Barnabas
Barnabas built a bridge between Peter and the other disciples, vouching for the reality of his faith and ministry.
26 "And when Saul was come to Jerusalem, he assayed to join himself to the disciples: but they were all afraid of him, and believed not that he was a disciple.
27 But Barnabas took him, and brought him to the apostles, and declared unto them how he had seen the Lord in the way, and that he had spoken to him, and how he had preached boldly at Damascus in the name of Jesus".
The Holy Spirit chose Paul and Barnabas to be missionaries - The is only one Biblical account where the Holy Spirit Himself speaks..
"As they ministered to the Lord, and fasted, the Holy Ghost said, Separate me Barnabas and Saul for the work whereunto I have called them".
You must be willing to accept a Power Relationship to get anything out of it.
There are people who are dysfunctional and can’t manage relationships, then there are those who speak to your future and not your past, you need to be around people who speak life to your life, speaking to your faith and not your fears.
Wrong relationships can delay destiny
When the wrong people speak into your life, it is spiritual as well as carnal. Its easy to not listen to people you don’t like, its the people you do like that are the problem.
You can’t be so concerned about good people leaving you that your not thinking about the bad people who are
staying with you.
The enemy will send people into your life, they are not necessarily bad people, but them mixed with you is not a good thing.
Elisha and David never knew what was in them until Elisha encountered Elijah and David encountered Samuel, it took someone else to bring out their gifts.
A power relationship will not be on your terms, in order to connect with your power relationship you must be flexible.
• Your service in this relationship will not fit in your day timer.... You must be willing to change to get it.
• Your pride can kill the blessing and cause you to miss what God has in store for you.
• A humbling process of service must be realized, when God takes you to the next level he has greater blessings in
store for you that require perspective on your part.
• You must realize that YOU are going to be the recipient and not them. You have to be willing to be uncomfortable
to get the relationship to go up to the next level in your life.
• When God gives you this kind of relationship you have to sow prayer into that relationship, you must pray for the
person who is to guide you.
• If you can rejoice for someone else, God will bless you where you lack. God watches the way we respond to
• Bless someone else and God will bless you too, Bless what God has already blessed.
Disconnect from disrespect
• You cannot disrespect someone who is at the level of where you want to be and expect to raise to that level, you can’t curse the boss and expect to be a boss...
• You should put walls of protection around the relationships that are important to you, no person can prophesy to you who you won’t receive from, or teach you or pastor you, if your not willing to hear from them.
• Don’t let people tear down your relationships.
2 Kings 2
• Once Elijah and Elisha were across the Jordan, Elijah asked Elisha what he wanted, but only AFTER Elijah saw that Elisha was willing to do the work.
• All of us at some point will have to ask for a hard thing in our relationships..
Power Relationships provide Promotion and Elevation.
Elijah told Elisha if he saw him when he was taken, he would be promoted beyond his level.....which meant Elijah had to be promoted before Elisha could be.
Moses before Joshua (Joshua 1:1-3)
John the Baptist before Jesus (John 3:28-32) Samuel before Gad - with David.
Whatever the calling a power relationship is set for you if you open your heart and get out of your own way.