Abomination: a thing that causes disgust or hatred. Atrocity, disgrace, horror, obscenity, outrage, evil, crime, monstrosity, anathema, bane, detestation, loathing, aversion, antipathy, revulsion, repugnance, abhorrence, odium, execration, disgust, horror, hostility.
In biblical context, abominations are things that are specifically offensive to God, things that He has said are offensive to Him, they are things that bring a judgement against man both Physically and spiritually.
There is an important distinction between being delivered from the Law, and being subject to it through Christ. Committing abominations today that during the time of the Law meant instant death are “now” spiritual doorways for demonic access into your life.
By committing abominations that God commanded against, during the times of the law, you were to be put to death. Today’s new covenant provides us the grace of God, which only prevents one from having to be put to death today, but these sins don’t just get a pass under the grace of the New Testament. Today these sins act as “doorways” for Demons into our lives, beyond the spiritual and are manifest physically.
Consider them spiritual access roads into our lives from a spiritual reality into the physical tangible reality. On this side of the New Covenant, our continued sin in these areas are doorways Demons can and will use. Demonic possessions can only occur through doorways that are also called abominations by God. They are not things we make up on our own, or even things we think should or should not be abominations, it is God’s list, and that is what makes them abominations or doorways. The Hebrew word for Abomination is “Towebath”/ To-Ay-Baw, meaning something disgusting, especially idolatry, to loath, to detest.
The doorways themselves are as follows:
The seven things God hates (Proverbs 6:16-19)
- Lying tongues, this refers to a person that lives a lie or practices lies (Proverbs 12:22, 13:5; Psalm 40:4)
- A proud look (Proverbs 16:5, 8:13; 1 Peter 5:5; James 4:6; 2 Timothy 3:2-5)
- Hands that shed innocent blood, killing (Deuteronomy 27:24-25; Ezekiel 22:9-12)
- A heart that devises wick imaginations, a vindictive person (2 Corinthians 10:3-5; Genesis 8:21, 6:5; Matthew 15:18-19; Jeremiah 18:11-12, 16:12)
- Feet that are swift to mischief, to cause mischief is to hurt someone, to cause them great grief, to vex, trouble, worry, to be a false witness against someone (Romans 3:12-18; Psalms 7:14; Isaiah 59:12-13; Job 15:34-35)
- All forms of incest are doorways (Leviticus 18:6-16)
- Sex with your mother (Deuteronomy 27:20)
- Sex with animals (Deut. 27:21; Lev. 18:23, 20:15-16)
- Sex with your sister (Deut. 27:22)
- Killing (Deut. 27:24; Exodus 21:12)
- Killing for money (Deut. 27:25; Ezekiel 22:12)
- Making sacrifice to Demons (Lev. 17:7)
- Homosexuality (Lev. 18:22, 20:13)
- Communing with familiar spirits, this means going to see psychics, going to séances, palm readers, tarot card readers, fortune-tellers or soothsayers. This is all seeking to speak with the dead, which in effect is speaking to demons, because the dead can’t speak to the living (Luke 16:22-31; Ecclesiastes 9:4-6)
- Adultery (Lev. 20:10)
- Cursing your parents (Lev. 20:9; Exodus 2:7; Proverbs 20:20; Matthew 15:4; Mark 7:10)
- Hitting your parents (Exodus 21:15)
- Having sex with a woman during her menstrual period. The blood of a woman’s monthly cycle is sacred to God, and women are not to be touched during this time (Lev 18:19, 20:18)
- Having idols in your possession, not even worshipping them, just having them (Deut. 7:25-26, 12:2-3, 26:30; 1 John 5:21)
All of these forms of sins are abominations to God, and even though you don’t have to be put to death where God required it among these sins anymore, they are still quite serious to God. Today, under the New Covenant with Jesus as our Savior and Mediator, death for these sins is no longer required in the immediate sense, but there are still short term consequences. Short term, meaning these sins bring all the compounding consequences of personal peril, with possible demonic possession to follow. The long-term consequences are physical and spiritual death. Consequently, early physical death is typically a consequence of demonic possession.
- Repent of the sins that were committed to open the doorways
- Close each doorway by confessing the abomination specifically
- Ask to be sealed with the Holy Spirit and to be anointed by the Spirit
- Thank the Lord for the deliverance and offer Him praise.
It is as simple as that.
For those that are delivered from possession and receive The Holy Spirit, their life is not necessarily cut short because of the experience. Those that are not Christ’s will have a shorter life, but the Lord will typically extend the life of a servant, because of the power of their testimony coming through such an experience. Surviving an experience like this, and talking about it, will typically save lives through the testimony of the one delivered.
Satan will typically try to rob the deliverance of the person, by telling them it did not work and that they are still his to control. Ironically, this act of the demon is your evidence that you are delivered. Simply say “I rebuke you in Jesus name, I am DELIVERED” and he will go away immediately, which is also evidence that he is cast out. But he will return repeatedly in an attempt to wear you down, but the rebuke will always work, he will eventually move on. The best way to expedite relief from these harassments of a demon is to stay in the company of other Christians, play worship music and pray in the Spirit. The demon will write you off instantly, because they can’t stand that. When you are solid in your footing of the faith, you will never have another problem like this. But be open to allowing the Lord to use you to help others who have fallen into this trap.
Finally, find a good Bible based church to attend and never forget that Jesus is Lord. You will never have more evidence that the things of the Spirit world are real, both from the casting out side of things and from the deliverance side. A spiritual encounter is very illuminating. You can never forget it once you have been through it. In most cases, It is better that a person never experience a demonic encounter no matter what side of the equation you’re on. Once a demon has seen you, there will always be an awareness of you among them.